Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are no longer the stuff of science fiction, however you don’t need to be a technical nerd to start harnessing their power to do what you do smarter. There are a range of existing tools that you can implement today, without requiring a degree in software engineering or an R&D budget akin to Google.
Here’s a quick definition on both AI and ML so that you feel confident dropping these buzzwords:
Artificial Intelligence: an “intelligent” machine that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximise its chance of success at some goal.
Machine Learning: type of artificial intelligence that provides computers with the ability to learn without being explicitly programmed. Machine learning focuses on the development of computer programs that can teach themselves to grow and change when exposed to new data.
A simple example of Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning in action is Facebook’s use of Facial Recognition. When you upload a photo to Facebook, Artificial Intelligence enables it to make a recommendation on who to tag in that photo. Machine Learning comes into play as Facebook learns over time, due to more tagged photos of an identified friend, to identify an individual with more certainty.
You can learn about other ways AI can be utilised here in a previous article from Duncan.
Keen to do what you do smarter? Here’s a rundown of some tools that exist to help you start using AI and ML straight away:
Understanding your data / customers better
- Advanced data analysis, visualisation, and predict customers before they convert based on machine learning: http://mixpanel.com/
- Advanced recommendations such as natural language search or automatically generated formulas in Sheets to aid in interpreting data: Google Docs “Explore” feature
- Understand existing revenue attribution across channels, identify opportunities and predict future revenue: http://www.brightfunnel.com/
- Understand what user behaviour correlates with conversion: https://www.pterohq.com/
- Match shopper intent to your products: http://bloomreach.com/
Helping you communicate smarter
- Automate your customer service, tackle the decision making process of purchasing your product or service, or provide additional utility in a way that feels like you’re interacting with a person via a Chatbot: Facebook provide some great help here to get started https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform or there is a wide range of API resources at https://api.ai/. Note Chatbots require you to get your technical nerd on, so if this goes far beyond your capabilities than you could always get in touch with us to do this for you.
- Understand a colleague or customer’s communication style, getting recommendations on responses accordingly: https://www.crystalknows.com/ or http://www.boomeranggmail.com/respondable/
Managing your life better
- AI Assistant short-list compiled by Fastcompany – note some of these are in private alpha or beta: https://www.fastcompany.com/3059719/handicapping-the-ai-assistants-from-siri-to-ozlo
- Smart calendar management and scheduling: Slack extension Meekan https://meekan.com/slack/ or “Smart Scheduling” feature within G Suite
In the spirit of making what we do not only better, but smarter, tell us what AI tools you use? Make sure you mention them in a comment below.